LG Chem, Ltd. is a globally diversified chemical company which manufactures a wide range of products, from petrochemical goods to high-value added plastics, and extends its chemical expertise into high-tech areas such as electronic materials and rechargeable batteries. Since its establishment in 1947, LG Chem has strengthened global presence in the petrochemical industry by expanding key businesses including ABS and PVC, namely ranging from premium products to daily commodities. Subsequently in the decade of 1990s, LG Chem successfully commercialized polarizer used in LCDs and has firmly maintained No.1 position in the global market by continuous investment in R&D. With significant market share in consumer, automotive and stationary applications, LG Chem is also one of the world’s largest lithium-ion battery manufacturers that powers electronic gadgets, Electric Vehicles (EV) and Energy Storage Systems (ESS).
LG Chem is leading the global ESS market with successes in various ESS projects, and its track record is rapidly growing. LG Chem's ESS battery applies the Stack & Folding technology to create high energy density and achieved compactness. It maintains stable structure against frequent charging/discharging, with superior lifespan compared to its competitors.
The Senior Engineering Manager will be responsible for providing leadership on all technical aspects of the company’s ESS business for grid-scale systems, to customers and channel partners within EMEA. Priority will be given to tasks aimed at establishing new and developing existing customer accounts especially with large electric utilities and independent project developers. The position will combine an individual contributor role with leadership of a growing engineering support team to be established in Frankfurt.
The individual must be able to identify clients’ needs, generate solutions and lead all technical aspects of proposal preparation, bid clarification, contract negotiation and project implementation. This requires the individual to have a balanced blend of technical and commercial capabilities and experience, be capable of establishing and nurturing effective relationships with customers’ technical specialists, influencers and decision makers, while working in a fast-paced, team-oriented, global business.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working within the company’s European organization with specialized technical support from LG Chem’s Korea-based associates. Primary responsibilities of the Senior Engineering Manager include:
• In conjunction with LG Chem Europe GmbH’s sales personnel, engage with customers’ technical and project personnel to fully understand project requirements and objectives
• Generation of technical proposals including optimizing battery capacity (size and cost), with support as required from LG Chem specialist personnel in Korea
• Lead technical communications with customers during all phases of the proposal: pre- and post-bid, including bid clarification requests and contract negotiations
• Provide in-country technical support to customers and LG Chem Europe GmbH personnel in the event of operational issues at existing installations
• Creation and development of highly effective relationships with customers’ and project partners’ technical staff.
• Develop an understanding of competing energy storage technologies, and use this knowledge to inform clients of LG Chem’s competitive advantages and value propositions
• Lead the recruitment efforts for hiring additional engineering team members
• Professional, highly motivated individual with a strong results-oriented work ethic
• A strong team player who thrives in a role that requires significant personal contributions and depends on the successful collaboration between European and Korea-based team members
• Strong leadership skills; a mentor to new hires while fulfilling an individual contributor role
• Excellent organizational and time management skills with a minimum of supervision
• Comfortable working beyond normal office hours as required to meet customer expectations; an ability to travel extensively throughout the assigned territory (approx. 30%)
The successful candidate will possess:
• Minimum of 5 years work experience in a technical role
• Knowledge of energy storage technologies, preferably lithium ion batteries, including an understanding of their characteristics and differentiators / advantages
• Proven record of providing specialist technical services within the energy industry. Experience of engaging with electric utilities, project developers and technical consultants would be highly desirable.
• Excellent communication skills; verbal, written, and presentation
• Language: English (mandatory) – Korean, German or other European language would be a plus
• A Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, in a technical discipline (Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering preferred)
For the successful candidate, this is an opportunity to become a major contributor to LG Chem’s success within the EMEA region, with potential for substantial growth in responsibilities as the Company’s organization in Europe expands.